Monday, March 2, 2015

Slice of Life 2

A while back, I heard about this cool game where you run your own little NASA, except with little green dudes called Kerbals. Kerbals live on Kerbin, and Kerbin is the games earth. There are a few other planets in the solar system, mocking the ones in ours, that are proportionally spaced to the ones in our system. The coolest aspect of the game is that is uses real world physics, and so you can create amazing star ships and moon bases, and practically anything under the sun, or orbiting it ;-).

Today, I was docking the last pieces of my Mars mission, Lazarus I, as well as creating maneuver nodes, these maneuver nodes are a more advanced way of creating a new path to follow. You can change the speed, angle and rotation of the new course and then you can execute it. I came up with a few to get me to Mars and currently, after two years of drifting through space, I am orbiting it. The next step is going to be landing my massive base and recreating my version of the Martian.

Sadly, my main engines were causing the ship to shake so violently that they collided and exploded, taking most of my solar array. Luckily I used the descent boosters to get me the rest of the way.

I know none of you care, unless Vaughn is reading this, but it is one of the coolest games I have ever played, and my parents don't get mad at me for playing. I am studying astrophysics...

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed watching you play it before school. It looks pretty amazing. Kind of like the SimWorld games of my teenage years but with better graphs and physics. You described why it is interesting to you so well.

    ReplyDelete